|Upcoming changes to the LxCenter Forums [message #76819]
||Sun, 12 September 2010 16:33
Registered: February 2009
Location: Florianopolis / BR
The forums as presented today confuse new users and so we have to trim them. We must also make room for language specific forums. Keep in mind there have always been a policy to never delete posts, no matter how irrelevant or obnoxious they are (unless it's blatant spam).|
So these are some changes coming in the next few days:
1) A new "Archive" category.
Not limited to: old topics related to LxLabs operations; topics related to the future of LxLabs and creation of LxCenter; forums of obsolete applications such as LxAdmin; posts "bumping" ancient topics irrelevant to it; topics on bugs already fixed or features already implemented.
"Archiving" means moving such items to this new category where no new posts/topics can be created (read-only). Some may even been removed from the forum search as to not confuse users such as, but not limited to, LxLabs $promotions$ and old feature requests already implemented.
If you feel a forum/topic/post was archived by mistake, report it to moderators so they can evaluate and move it back at their own discretion.
2) This forum, LxCenter Announcements, will be limited to LxCenter staff posts only.
So it will work the way it is supposed to (software updates, security advisories, etc). Users can then subscribe to the RSS feed to get updates along with e-mail alerts and not be bothered with support questions and random banter.
3) Merging of HyperVM, Kloxo, LxAdmin and Commandline KB
The posts (or articles) there will migrate to the Wiki. Once this is done, these forums will be archived (hidden, but still searchable).
4) Archiving of Kloxo and HyperVM Bug Reports, Feature Requests and Translation forums.
It's hard for developers to track both forums and bug-tracker. Redmine (the chosen bug-tracker) is the best tool for the job and users will be forced to use it. At first, bug report and feature request forums will redirect to the respective project in the bug-tracker (new user registration required). Reading the bug report guidelines is highly recommended.
Translation tasks will move to language specific forums where users can coordinate it better.
5) LxAdmin forums will be read-only.
LxAdmin is superseded by Kloxo. It haven't received updates in well over a year. Users still running LxAdmin must upgrade to Kloxo immediately. As soon as Kloxo 6.1.0 is released, LxAdmin forums will be archived and posts still relevant to Kloxo will be moved to its forums and/or migrate to the wiki as KB articles.
6) New Language specific forums.
There will be no A to Z language forums from start. They will be created as demand arises. These will be moderated by at least 2 active forum users with a good track record.
And this is how you can help:
- You don't have to be a programmer to help LxCenter. To this day, there are 74221 messages inside 12696 topics. If you bump into a message that fits the criteria described in item 1, click the link "Report message to a moderator" and write "archive" as the reason.
- Offer to moderate a forum in your native language. You must be at least bilingual, that is, speak English AND your native language and be active in LxCenter forums. Moderator tasks include removing spam, keeping threads clean and on-topic and managing workgroups for translation tasks (Kloxo, HyperVM, documentation, etc).
- Act as a bridge between LxCenter developers and your non-english speaking fellow if he or she wants to send a bug report, request a new feature, etc.
[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2011 10:05] by Moderator
Report message to a moderator